Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Man and his Wives; A Man and his Lawyer

Before I get to today's feature, I have a few important links regarding fellow song-poem travelers.

First, I'm very pleased to report that Darryl Bullock, proprietor of the fabulous "World's Worst Records" blog, has come out with a book of the same title, which can be perused and purchased here. I have been devouring this book, and I highly recommend it! I'm touched to have been mentioned in the acknowledgements, and was quite amazed and pleased to find myself actually quoted within the text of the chapter on song-poems.

And second, there are several new episodes of Sammy Reed's Strange and Bizarre program available, the most recent of which are from his "no top teeth" series. All of them feature multiple song-poems, as well as other amazing and wonderful stuff. You can find the most recent show, and a link to the other ones, here.

And now, back to the countdown:


Today's two songs appear to be part of the same story, as they were both written by the same song-poet, and both feature him dealing with legal tribulations. Both are sung with great verve and élan by Norm Burns, who was just the man for the job.

In song one, writer Chester Meyer gives us his perspective on his divorce, primarily that the judge based his alimony and other rulings on how Chester's ex-wife looked in her short skirt (too bad Chester didn't have a short skirt, too, he observes). He then goes on to complain about this for a time, before letting us know that it all worked out in the end, when he found wife # 2.

Download: Norm Burns - Married
Play:

On side two, Chester (with Norm's help, of course) tells us all about his relationship with his lawyer, who helped him with a gal who "made a fool out of me", most likely the one we just heard about, no? But the focus of this song is Chester's desire to develop a friendship with this attorney. My guess is that this is the only song ever written about a wish to become closer friends with one's lawyer. And not only that, it gives us the chance to hear Norm Burns to some speak-singing over "stop-chords", which may be a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. Don't miss it!


Download: Norm Burns - A Helping Hand
Play:




4 comments:

Darryl W. Bullock said...

Thanks for the plug Bob! You've always been incredibly generous and I couldn't really write about song-poems without mentioning you! Glad you're enjoying the book.

Sammy Reed said...

Oh yeah, which reminds me - I aughta thank you as well! (I was born under the "Slow Children" sign, so it takes me a while to get a clue.)
So - Thanks a lot!
I thank you, and my new top teeth and lower partial which I hope to get in the next few weeks thank you.

Ari Z. said...

I just wanted to point out that this record was actually in a jukebox. >.>

Sammy Reed said...

1/1/20:
I just reuploaded the episodes of my show in the "No Top Teeth" series. You can hear then at:
https://strangemusicworld.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-no-top-teeth-series.html
Thanks again, Bob, and keep up the great work!